Monday, July 6, 2009

We Can Do It!










It’s the end of an era for Tiffany and Kate. Today we signed the lease on our new apartment. We found a two bedroom two and a half bath townhome in the Heights. It’s much closer to where I work, and we are saving several hundred dollars a month. The new place is definitely not as nice as our first place, but it’s quaint, has some ghetto flair, and fits us just right. I went alone this morning to pick up the keys and waited for the Comcast guys to set up the internet. I had to say several prayers to make sure it was the right decision to move after all, and once I felt at peace, I walked to the front door. Just as I unlocked the door, I went to turn the doorknob, and the funniest thing happened…the doorknob fell right off! I stopped, kind of panicked, and then just started laughing! It was like a bad omen, yet ironic and very fitting. I said one more prayer, picked up the doorknob and walked back to the leasing office. They were very nice, had a good laugh and sent Raul, one of the maintenance men to fix the knob. He was super nice, and assured me that the complex was a good place to live and if we needed anything, to let the guys know. He spoke Spanish, and in the end, I felt at peace with the decision we made to move to the new place.

I went to IKEA, one of my favorite places, and picked up a few things for our new little home. Later in the evening, Kate brought over our drill (or as I like to call it, the screw gun), and we set up our curtains. I got to use the drill, and I felt so empowered! Who needs a man (no offense Jeff) when you can work a screw gun?! ?

I am taking little Puglsy over to the new place tomorrow to get him acquainted with his new surroundings. Hopefully he fights the urge to tag the place up. We decided to get him a baby gate so we can keep him downstairs and out of the bedrooms. He really is like having a baby sometimes, but we love him. Please pray for him that he doesn’t freak out when we move. He is a sensitive little dog and doesn’t do well with change.

It is kind of hard to believe that I have been in Houston for over a year now. We already fulfilled a lease on one apartment, and have signed a lease on a new one. It’s like we are adults, or something like that. We are fairly independent and can even use tools! Wow, being an independent woman kinda rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment